Pulut Inti | Glutinous Rice Wrap recipe

26 May
2010

Pulut Inti is another popular Nyonya Kuih and I guarantee you, it is the easiest to make.    “Pulut” means glutinous rice and “Inti” is the filling.   I’ve always known Bunga Telang as the two Malay words or Blue Pea/Clitoria ternatea for some.  It is widely available in Malaysia, Singapore or in the Asian countries.  Well, in Australia, I get them specially flown in from Brisbane.   The blue extract gives out this beautiful natural color for the glutinous rice.  Here’s how to make.  Try it and let me know how you went..

Ingredients
500g glutinous rice
30 bunga telang or blue pea
150 mls/milliliters coconut milk
half tbsp salt
500 grams grated coconut
250 grams palm sugar
200 grams caster sugar
1 tbsp plain flour

Method
1. Boil 700 mls water with 30 bungah telang/blue pea. Cool the blue water and pour over the glutinous rice. Soak the rice for an hour.
2. Strain and steam rice over high heat for half hour.
3. Pour the coconut milk and mix with half tbsp salt over the rice and mix well.
4. Cover the rice and steam for another 20 minutes. Cool and serve with banana leaves.

The coconut topping
Melt palm sugar and caster sugar with 100 mls of water. Add in the grated coconut, stir under medium heat for 10 minutes or until the mixture is semi dry. Add the plain flour and stir for another minute. Turn off heat and cool the mixture. Roll into a ball and top it on the glutinous rice. Wrap both glutinous and the coconut topping.

Enjoy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

14 Responses to Pulut Inti | Glutinous Rice Wrap recipe

LimeCake

July 1st, 2010 at 11:51 pm

wow i had no idea the blue in this kueh is from a flower. And how resourceful to get them from Brisbane. I’ve never ever seen these flowers in Melbourne! I wonder if you could use blue food colouring, although getting the right shade of blue will be tough!

madamkwong

July 2nd, 2010 at 7:20 am

Yes, the color from from a beautiful blue flower. It is so unfortunate that it can’t be grown in Melbourne. Brisbane’s weather would be better. You can use blue coloring but to get the right blue, put one tiny drop of red coloring.

Good luck! Nice blog you have there~

teo ai li

August 24th, 2010 at 1:57 am

you think i can do this 1 day in advance and store them in the fridge? will the coconut turn sour? thanks

madamkwong

August 24th, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Hi there,

Yes you can make the glutinous in advance but you’ll still need to steam it. The inti can eaten cold. Good luck!

hy

September 28th, 2010 at 11:45 pm

so the coconut wouldn’t turn sour? all i have to do steam it when i wana eat it? how long can i keep it for? sorry for all the questions. my aunt loves eating pulut inti and i would love to make some for her. X)
erm…another question…if i do not wish to eat the pulut udang panggang immediately, can i store it in the fridge n then grill it when i wan to eat it? or grill n let it cool before storing in the fridge?
is it possible if u show a clip or a slideshow of how the pulut inti n pulut udang panggang is wrapped? thanks in adv! n sorry for bombarding u w all the qns.

madamkwong

September 29th, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Hi there,

You can keep the glutinous rice with coconut in a freezer for up to 6 months. The inti as shown is sweet and it is not udang panggang that you are referring to.

hy

October 1st, 2010 at 1:41 am

i’m making pulut inti for m aunt and the pulut udang is for myself. i like savoury food. >.< was just confirming if i cld keep them overnite. thanks for the tip. =D

LSY

March 26th, 2011 at 3:02 pm

May I know where bunga telang can be brought in Singapore? Is it available in Chinese medicine shop?

admin

March 26th, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Hi LSY,

I’m sorry. I don’t reside in Singapore. I’m not too sure where to get find but I know they grow wild in Malaysia.

Klsh

September 11th, 2011 at 7:38 am

Hi,
I’m based in Brisbane but I don’t know where to find bunga telang. Could you kindly advice me? Thanks.

Current fascination: butterfly pea « Green Basket

September 19th, 2011 at 3:32 am

[...] Isn’t that cool? The possibilities for blue foods are endless. I can make pulut inti! [...]

Matt

November 2nd, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Hi Kish,

I live near Brisbane and grow my own bunga telang. I am trying to get some seeds out of my plant this summer. If successful I can give some to you. Apparently some Aussies grow this too but they do not know it is being used for cooking.

Kind regards,
Matt

Eelaine

November 7th, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Hi,

Would you be able to let me where you get the flowers from in Brisbane? How did you get them flown into Melbourne?

Thanks

madamkwong

December 13th, 2012 at 10:29 am

Hi Elaine,

The flowers are now imported from Malaysia. :)

Comment Form