Inchi Kabin | Nyonya Fried Chicken recipe

28 Mar
2010

If you’ve tried Kentucky Fried Chicken or KFC, you gotta try some Nyonya Fried Chicken. The Nyonya calls it Inchi Kabin which is twice fried and crispier.  Even better with the special dipping sauce.

Recipe for Inchi Kabin after the jump:

Ingredients:
1kg chicken (cut into pieces)

Oil for deep frying

Seasoning:
2½ tbsp curry powder
1 tsp salt
10 tbsp coconut milk

You’ll need to marinate the chicken in advance, at least 4 hours. In a frying pan, deep fry the seasoned chicken until ¾ cooked and cool.

Frying method:
Heat the oil till very hot and deep fry for approximately 1 minute or when sizzling subsides. Remove the chicken. Allow the oil the heat up again and repeat process, twice till very crisp and golden brown.

Dipping sauce
1 red chilli, seeded and cut in strips
Juice of half a lime or lemon
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dry mustard
3 tbsp Worcester sauce

Related Posts with Thumbnails

10 Responses to Inchi Kabin | Nyonya Fried Chicken recipe

HB

May 1st, 2010 at 10:16 am

Looking at your Inchi Kabin fried chicken, this dish reminds me of a restaurant cum guest house at Tanjong Bungah named Southern Cliff (next to the famous Hollywood restaurant). They serve one of the best Inchi Kabin fried chicken I have ever tried. Don’t know whether this place still around. I never know that the chicken is double fried. Will try out your recipe. Thank you for sharing.

madamkwong

May 1st, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Thanks for visiting the blog. From my previous visit back home, the restaurant that you’ve mentioned has now closed. Yes, the key to this recipe is double fried to get the dark look. Good luck~

HB

May 1st, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Thanks for this update. Besides this fried chicken, do you have any nyonya soup recipe. My late mom used to prepare this unique tasty soup, she called it Tng Sua Hong soup literally mean’ China Wind’ soup. Very funny name indeed for a soup. Appreciate if you have any recipe of it. Some ingredients are dried sotong, big chunk of pork, white carrot, pepper, garlic etc and that 5 spices powder.
Appreciate any assistance for my enquiry.
TQ

madamkwong

May 1st, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Oh I do know the soup you are talking about. It is not the kind of soup that everyone would like. It’s been a while I’ve cooked it too.

HB

May 1st, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Madam you are my angel. Have been talking to some people I met and none seems to know what is that soup. Great you know it. Any chance of sharing this soup’s recipe or future posting about it. To me this soup is really warm and heartening esp. during rainy days. You are right, definitely not an everyday soup.

madamkwong

May 3rd, 2010 at 8:12 am

Thanks for your kind words. I don’t think I’ll be posting the recipe. As you say, it is not an everyday soup. If I get the chance to cook it, I’ll email you. ^_^

Annie Lim

June 25th, 2010 at 6:23 am

Thanks for the Inchi Kabin fried chicken recipe . I have try yesterday for my staffs gathering . I have added fresh yogurt for marinate . Everyone praised very good and crispy .They like it very much and it was finished as soon as been serve hot ! Thanks again .God bless !

When you happen to have octopus tentacles in the fridge… « ITTY BITTY FOODIES

August 5th, 2010 at 5:47 am

[...] curry powder in a fried chicken recipe called Inchi Kabin chicken. Here’s a recipe from Madam Kwong’s kitchen if you want to check it out. But really, you can use any type of curry powder you have on hand. I [...]

Nicole

January 14th, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Hi Madam Kwong,
My family loves inchi kabin chicken and i’m trying it tonite.
Just 1 question is curry powder same as chilli powder?

Nathan

April 3rd, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Hi Madam Kwong,

Is it need to fry the chicken twice?
What type curry powder can use?

Comment Form